THIS IS US.
• 75% of Canadians’ solid waste ends up in landfills.
• Emissions from landfills make up 20% of Canada’s total emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide in terms of global warming potential.
• On average, it takes 450 years for a plastic bottle to degrade. For some plastics, it can take up to 1000 years. Bottles made from PET will never biodegrade.
• Approximately 1.4 billion pounds of garbage per year enters the world’s oceans and accumulates in kilometer-long floating garbage patches. Plastic is the most common material among this pollution.14
• Over 1,000,000 seabirds, 300,000 dolphins and porpoises, and 100,000 sea mammals are killed by ocean pollution each year .